We had another terrific day. We left Moab this
morning in the wind, and I do mean wind. We'd forgotten just how windy it can
get out here. And dust! Most of the rocks and soil around here are red
and now, so is much of the inside of Lil Pumpkin. When I washed the windshield,
it was red mud. The dust has stuck to the fresh kill bug splats.
We headed south on hwy 191 down to just past Blanding
where we took hwy 95 west. Just before Blanding we passed Wilson's Arch. What
a specimen!
Initially, after turning onto 95, we thought maybe we
had made a mistake. We had driven miles and miles and all we were seeing was
sparse land covered with scrawny looking cedars. We decided to stop for a snack
and found a place to pull off that was obviously used mainly for ATV riding and
shooting guns. In the photo, I had picked up a 9mm shell casing. It was just
about then the wind kicked up a red dust storm and I scrambled back into the
RV.
But, it did not take too long after my dust bath for
the scenery to change and begin to grab our interest. As before when we had
taken the less traveled roads, there were hardly any other vehicles on the
road. The world we saw was ours, for the moment at least. And it stretched out
before us.
We could catch glimpses this beautiful twisting and
marvelously carved gorge running along side the highway, sometimes close,
sometimes far away. Eventually we came upon a bridge crossing it and discovered
it was Glen Canyon.
I tried to get some photos, but the only access I had
was on a rock overhang beside the bridge that was very scary in the wind. So,
my photos aren't as good or informative as they could be. But then, further
down the road we came to another bridge.
It was over the Colorado River. We were crossing the
upper end of Lake Powell. Photo opportunities here were a bit
better.
After passing the Colorado we hit hwy 24 and headed
west through Capitol Reel National Park. We made a rest stop at a pretty little
picnic area.
Just as we were leaving, a couple of cyclist flagged
us down and asked if we had some water. While I filled their bottles, Joyce
asked them where they were from and where they were going. They had ridden out
from Ohio! They were heading in the direction we had just came from. Holy Cow!
There was a 10% grade waiting for them and lots of hard pedaling. I think
sometimes I'm glad I'm old.
We stopped for the night at Wonderland RV Park at
Teasdale, UT. Too late for a photo tonight. Maybe I'll remember to take one in
the morning. |
No comments:
Post a Comment